Where to Buy Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol) For Extract Making

Where you can find food grade ethyl alcohol, also known as ethanol for making you vanilla extracts for professional or home use.

Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol)

Ethanol, also called alcohol, ethyl alcohol and grain alcohol, is a clear, colorless liquid and the principal ingredient in alcoholic beverages like beer, wine or brandy. Because it can readily dissolve in water and other organic compounds, ethanol also is an ingredient in a range of products, from personal care and beauty products to paints and varnishes to fuel.*

*Source: https://www.chemicalsafetyfacts.org/ethanol/

The FDA requires a minimum of 35% Ethyl Alcohol/70 Proof when making vanilla extract professionally. This includes any 70 Proof or more Vodka, Rum & Brandy as well as ethyl alcohol.

Where To Find Ethyl Alcohol For Making Vanilla Extract

Culinary Solvent
200 Proof Pure Ethyl Alcohol
200 Proof Pure Ethyl Alcohol Organic

140 Proof Pure Ethyl Alcohol
200 Proof Pure Ethyl Alcohol

Ethyl Alcohol Dilution Formula*

If diluting a high-proof alcohol (95%) to 40%, the formula would look like:
% Spirits needed = (40 ÷ 95) ⋇ 100 = 42.1% alcohol, and the remaining 57.9% would be water.


Contact Michael Phillips with Questions about formulating your Vanilla Extract

FDA Requirements For Making Vanilla Extract

FDA regulations require 13.35 ounces of extract grade vanilla beans of 25% humidity or less to an extraction medium of no less than 70 Proof alcohol. These links give you the exact wording and requirements for making a product which can legally be called vanilla extract.


Vanilla Extract

Concentrated Vanilla Extract